Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On to Peru!!

By way of introduction, this blog is now serving as the official receptacle for all thoughts and ponderings of my voyage to Peru for the purpose of learning general surgery from a physician in Huancayo, Peru. Huancayo is a town of about 300,000 at 10,700 feet in the Andes Mountains east of Lima. I arrived here in Lima last night.

After an uneventful flight and passage through customs,
(How long will you stay? -47 days.- *stamp* Welcome to Peru. -Gracias.-)
(I'm not sure if I was supposed to get my luggage searched, but no one stopped me)
I was greeted by Omar, a friendly taxi driver who has somehow arranged to pick up all the medical students that visit Lima through my contact here. We had a great conversation, by which I mean I spoke slowly and awkwardly and he filled in the gaps, and took a drive down the coast to Hostale Pukara.

It looks like most of the houses here, but had a lobby, warm shower, clean beds, free internet and complimentary breakfast. After partaking in all three, I am now sitting in said lobby awaiting my friend Mario who I met on my neurology rotation at Harborview. He is (thanks God!) from Huancayo and is vacationing from neurology residency. I think we may travel together this week.

So I'm excited, getting back into international travel mode and ready to take on all that God has to offer here in Peru (hoping for a little less adventure than my last trip). I should be writing quite a bit more frequently now, so stay tuned! Love all you guys!

(also, check out my last post, as I just put that one up this morning too. I'll try to take a break and reflect on the interview trail at some point here too.)

1 comment:

Becki said...

even knowing how awesome God is at providing and lining everything up perfectly for his plan....I'm still amazed at number of people you know and arrange stuff with no matter where in the world you are!!