Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Next Step

It's been a pensive day. Lots of things have converged lately prompting me to take a census of what's going on with me, God and life. And it's been good. Real good. I don't really write on here anymore, but today was one of those days when I felt like writing.

If you haven't been around, my journey for the last several years has been centered around the realization that God is among us, active and hopeful that we will lift our eyes from our own lives and join in the story that He is writing in the paths that we walk. That prompted some reevaluation of my spiritual beliefs and practices resulted in the exploration of true freedom, relationship and service to others. It has been a joy to discover new ways to glorify God, to feel myself slowly unburdened from the legalism that so often accompanies religion and to see prayers answered, whispers of God in all things and meet others in whom Christ so obviously dwells.

In the midst of that learning, I was learning to experience God through enjoying good things in life. Now unfortunately, I may have associated things like skiing, rock climbing, good music, food and beer with carrying out the simple call of Christ a little too strongly. All beautiful things to enjoy, but lifeless in and of themselves and missing pivotal elements of the life of Christ. I still can and will enjoy all those things in life that God has gifted to us, but those things can't be at the center. I don't know what it was today, but I was reminded of my first steps toward a life lived fully with God. Back then, I was miserable but found simple joy in working for the happiness of others. It happened in Guatemala and continued in Texas and then Alaska and so forth.

A lot of people ask me how I like living in New York. Those from Alaska (including myself) sometimes have a hard time understanding how I can be happy somewhere so far from home. The truth is, my happiness, my joy, even when I was there, was never about the mountains, the wilderness, or the exhilaration of extreme sports. Rather, the joy I experienced occurred secondarily to taking myself out of the center and using my life to build up others. Even good things can become idols. It is the recognition of where God is moving and joining in that brings joy, not in recreating the specific context of where or how He has acted in the past.

I've learned well over the last few years how to live, how to love myself. I see this as a dangerous destination if viewed as such, but as a necessary precursor to the next step. To love your neighbor as yourself, you necessarily must love yourself first by understanding the great love that God has for you. I am here in New York not only to live life to the fullest for me and for God, but to live fully and to share that richness with all those around me in simple acts of service.

"Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?"
Jesus replied, "'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Ross, I don't understand why you're a surgeon when you could be a novelist. You write clearly, intelligently, and paint word pictures without being too flowery .i.e., I enjoyed reading you :-) Anyway, I really liked this entry, especially one of your closing statements, "To truly love others as yourself, you must fully comprehend the love that God has for you." (Or something to that effect) It struck a chord.... We must know the endless depths of His forgiveness before we can forgive and love others. It's like tasting some really good cheesecake; you want everyone to have a forkful so they can share in your joy of creamy goodness.
Well anyway, just thought this entry needed some appreciation :-)