Friday, October 19, 2007

Asking and Receiving

I haven't figured out that fine line that differentiates asking and receiving from asking and being rude. I've erred on both sides, but more frequently on the latter I would say. Nonetheless, I know that if I DON'T ask, I WON'T receive, so I persist.

A great example arose this weekend when I decided that a sunny weekend in western Washington was a terrible thing to waste studying, so I took off on Saturday for destinations previously unknown. I found myself hiking alongside a mountain stream punctuated by two impressive and one not-so-impressive waterfalls crashing through a forest of large evergreens. It was a peaceful and enchanting place.

The asking came when I realized that the picture of a tent with a circle-slash over it might apply to me. I inquired at the park manager office and found to my delight that I would be able to camp in certain areas of the park if I wasn't too obnoxious. What could have been merely a beautiful day hike turned to a wonderful solitary experience and some long-overdue time spent with my Creator.

This came on the coattails of procuring three tickets outside the door to a sold-out Jimmy Eat World concert earlier in the week. I had prayed that morning for friends to hang out with and ended up helping out a few friends who also were trying to get tickets. I was thankful to God for working through all things.

The following Sunday rocked me. I found a church. The music made me feel at home (Jars of Clay's "Hymn") and the message was all about God's tough love. He lets us experience the consequences of our actions, even when our actions lead us away from Him. Graciously, He is always there to receive us and help us when we decide to return.

1 comment:

Mark said...

love hearing the story of how God responds to his son! keep up with the great tales of your God-journey - its frikkin' SWEET!