Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Random Assortment of Unrelated... stuff

I just got my ticket today for Thanksgiving... in Texas. It's kind of weird that I can go home to Alaska but I'm heading south. I guess that just means there are a bunch of people I love down there. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of them, both family and friends.

It's been weird settling into a city. I find it incredibly easy here to be surrounded by people, but not really know anyone. Acquaintances have always been difficult for me... not quite a stranger, yet not quite a friend. I've always been one for either meaningful relationship, or temporary interaction. On that note, I'm incredibly thankful for moving down here with 9 good friends from last year. Alaska WWAMI rules!!

Today made me realize it's about time to grow up. There were several factors that kind of converged at one time, giving me the epiphany that life requires discipline and determination. It also requires sensitivity to others' needs, and no matter how much I wish everyone would just be open and honest, that's not life. Sometimes, you have to play by societal rules and not take people at their word. You have to play the game of "guess what I'm REALLY thinking." Okay. I give. I'll play.

I realized that so much of the Word talks about us being righteous. Not that we don't have all the freedom in the world, but that application of that freedom looks a lot like legalism. We don't do things because they are rules, but because of how they impact our character and identity. In order to experience true freedom, we cannot separate our actions from our ideals. Everything must work together. Here's where the rubber meets the road.

We have all been given the capacity to do a lot with our lives, the time I have on Earth. I have the freedom to waste that time or to invest that time. I want to use my time wisely, to do well in school, to invest in other people, to serve and to enjoy the world God has given us.

I will never abandon some of my child-like behavior, but I am resolved to abandon childish behavior. I am resolved to give more than I take and to love more than I am loved. That's a tall order, but it's time to grow up.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

I, too, have the sense that "home" exists in several different places. Growing up in CO, 7 years in Seattle, my family now living in Kansas City, moving to Nashville...

I don't know that I really belong anywhere.

Shelly said...

Looking forward to getting to have you over for Thanksgiving!!! Yay!! Any special requests---send them my way!