Saturday, July 19, 2008

Defervescing

Not only is defervescing one of my new favorite words, but it's actually pretty descriptive for my life right now. Since my last post, things have settled down a little here in Pocatello. I'm starting to catch on to the rotation and getting more comfortable operating as a 3rd year medical student. I still screw up on a daily basis, you know, the kinda thing where as soon as you open your mouth, you realize the words coming out of it don't actually make sense. But all in all, things are feeling just a little less feverish.

I'm a little more settled into a routine and getting used to 6-7 hours of sleep. This was a slower week, which wasn't great for learning, but allowed me a chance to get my feet back under me after a long run of not being really settled. Hey, I even went rock climbing!

In the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), we have a status for babies who are in the clear and developing as they should be. They're called "Feeder/Growers" and that's a good thing. It means all their systems are working right, and the only thing they have to do is keep eating, digesting and storing away energy as they develop. Yep, that sounds familiar. Lovin' it.

No comments: