Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence

Quite fitting that on July 4th, I finally feel like I am yet again independent... kind of.

Quick summary of what my last month has consisted of:

Early June: cramming parts together in some semblance of a vegetable oil burning conversion for Stacey, trying to pack up, get everything NOT being packed disposed of and trying to be a decent human being at the same time.

Less-early June: leaving a few things behind, JR and I jumped in Stacey and began the trek through Canada to the homeland. The link is JR's account of the adventure w/pictures.


Junish: There were rumors of my presence in Anchorage and Girdwood for a few days, then I disappeared from society for two weeks. Some surmise that I was inventing a toaster oven that never burns toast, but in reality I was cramming information into my head at alarming rates. I took a brief break when I realized that my graduating class had reinvaded Kenai for the weekend:

Early July: D-Day. Both the day of Step 1 of the United States Medical Licensing Exam and the 1 year anniversay of Daniel getting shot in Ecuador. A wry irony. The next day, I packed my bag in Kenai, tied up a few loose ends and headed out for Seattle and Idaho.

I'm now in Seattle, finally relaxing. Ahhhhh.

Being back in Alaska was AWESOME. And I love it a ton. I always forget how great it is being there until I get back. No place like it.

Since being alone and back home, I've been doing a lot of remembering. Remembering who I am, who I have been and who I've wanted to grow into. It involved some checking in with myself to see if I'm living up to the man that I was hoping to be at this point. In some ways, yes, in some ways, no. I believe that God is steering me down the right paths right now and that His grace is enough to get me through the rough patches. I felt his presense with me strongly taking my giant test and was reminded that the only thing keeping me from that assurance all the time is my own attentiveness. So I'm ready to enter the wards of 3rd year with full confidence in the God who has brough me this far. He has been faithful and kept His promises and I LOVE Him for it.

Before signing off, I would be no kind of uncle if I didn't show off a couple pictures of my NEW NEPHEWS!!! I present to you: Carson Richard Hawes

and Jeffrey Dane Hultberg:
They're WAY cuter in real life, but these were the only shots I had handy. I am incredibly blessed.

1 comment:

Becki said...

Congratulations on making it to the next big step in your medical career, and life I guess. I hope you are enjoying your first rotation and I can't wait to hear about it! It was so awesome to see you again. Thanks for being such an great friend. Have fun partying with Jesus is Idaho.