Saturday, December 8, 2007

Oppression through $$$

One of the perks of medical school is being constantly surrounded by brilliant people who have had very different life experiences than I. When we get together, we have such different things to bring to the table, and fiery, but friendly, discussions can ensue. A few of us really get into social issues and trying to predict the best ways to take care of the poor, the outcasts and the disabled. I'd just like to credit my wonderful friends for spurring and shaping the following thoughts.

Voting is a small way we can provide direction for our country, care for the underserved and have a hand in many social issues concurrently. However, there is a better way.

Every purchase I make is a vote. Whether I'm voting for one particular restaurant over another, or one particular clothing company, or one particular record label, I cast my vote with my 3"x2" chunk of plastic daily. Even which chunk of plastic I choose casts a vote.

I implicitly imply with each vote the business practices I approve of. Recently, Gap took action to stop child labor practices in several of its overseas factories, but that leaves you wondering... how could a commercial giant like this be employing sweatshops in 2007 to begin with?? I like Gap clothing, but by some of the purchases I have made, my money has been used to propagate the oppression of children in foreign countries.

As an alternative, I could have voted for Patagonia. They have been acclaimed for their efforts to protect the environment through responsible business practices, yet they still turn out quality products. Oh, and they are frequently acclaimed for working to ensure fair employment, not just for their own workers, but for other companies as well.

My point here isn't to knock Gap or prop up Patagonia, but to point out that who you buy from matters. If customers demanded that their products be made by fairly-paid and fairly-treated workers, no business that oppressed its workers could survive.

Here are a few resources to help inform your vote:

Do The Right Thing - A conglomerate blog on some of the top companies
Business & Human Rights - Great site for checking up on your favorite companies
Human Rights USA - activist company with regular news releases... check out what they say about Yahoo!

If I run into any others, I'll try to post them here.

I'll leave you with this:

"Do not oppress foreigners in any way. Remember, you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt." - Exodus 22:21

"Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but those who help the poor honor him." - Proverbs 14:31

"At that time I will put you on trial. I will be a ready witness against all sorcerers and adulterers and liars. I will speak against those who cheat employees of their wages, who oppress widows and orphans, or who deprive the foreigners living among you of justice, for these people do not fear me," says the LORD Almighty." - Malachi 3:5

"Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and should give generously to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them." - I Timothy 6:17

No comments: