Saturday, December 22, 2007

Seeing beyond

#1 question asked to me since returning to Alaska: "How do you like living in Seattle??"

The frequency of that question has allowed me to explore the many (accurate) responses I can provide to that question:

"It's great! There's always something going on!"
"I'm not much of a city guy, but as far as cities go, Seattle is pretty cool."
"I miss Alaska and I'm excited to get back up here."
"It's been tough living in a huge, pagan city."

Ooh, that last one sounded a little judgmental. But let's remember, this blog is about ME, not about everyone else. And I'M using those terms to describe a culture moving away from Christian majority influence. So before getting all huffy with me for calling Seattle "pagan" (and I know that's a generalization), consider that not all "Christians" necessarily like being pegged as a "Christian." I digress.

That discussion is NOT what this is about, but sets the stage for it.

If a car starts running out of oil, it basically freezes up with no warning signs except for a possible decline on some obscure gauge on the dash. I like to think that the Holy Spirit is kind of like that for me. And living in Seattle, I started running dry.

Since coming back up here, I have been surrounded by men and women of faith moving forward in their lives with Christ, walking in faith and power. Geez, I'd reduced the Gospel to simple logic and principle and forgotten all the good stuff!! God has reminded me that He is not just a thought, but that in seeking Him we learn who He is and we are filled! I may not be able to argue my way out of a paper bag, but I have experienced God, and He has chosen the weak things of this world to shame the strong. I count myself among the weak, as one unable to sustain myself.

It feels so good.

After realizing all this, I have a new response in my repertoire: Gratefulness.

I am thankful first of all for my friends down there. I have learned so much from them and shared some great times! I'm looking forward to continuing to get to know people and to meeting new people and all that fun stuff.

I am super excited to learn all the great stuff coming up in school and no matter what anyone else says, I DON'T hate school, I'm NOT sick of learning and some of the lectures are actually GOOD.

I'm really grateful for my church down there, for learning and growing and being filled. I look forward to getting more involved with them and hopefully having something to offer.

I'm ready to start skiing. So far, it's been mostly talk, but now that the snow has arrived, it's time to get down to business and lay down some tracks. Let's rip it up.

I love having awesome people to climb with too.

This was a good thing to write. I'm getting pumped up to be back in Seattle. Right now though, it's time to go hang out with the fam.

3 comments:

frogfish2000 said...

So, Ross, I have to share my pagan story. The boys are taking two classes at the Homeschool resource center. While they are in class, Julilanna and I hang out in in family type room. I usually spend my time talking to my friend Rachel who is an amazing christian mom who inspires me in so many ways. We are usually very animated in our conversation and it would be evident from any one listening that we are strong followers of Christ. This one woman in particular leaves the room when ever we really get into deep conversations and will not make eye contact with me at all. The other day, I walked into the room and I kept hearing her talk about Solstice day-the kids were making solstice day gifts and that they were actually going to spend Solstice day with her father. She then went on loudly to say that her father was just going to have to deal with her pagainism since they were going to be together on Solstice day! I knew she wanted me to know she was a pagan. HOw crazy is that?

rot9 said...

People prefer driving philosophical wedges between themselves and those they disagree with so they have an excuse to dislike them, thus affirming their beliefs. I think Christians would have a lot harder time condemning non-Christians if they actually got to know them. I think non-Christians would find it difficult to scream "intolerance" at Christians if they were invited over for dinner.

Becki said...

Glad to hear, you're able to be excited about Seattle again. I love how God will change our hearts and our way of seeing things when we earnestly follow and seek after him. Miss you bro, but I'm happy you're in good company.