Monday, January 7, 2008

Grace

I cannot even begin to explain how refreshing Christmas Break was for me. I've expressed frustration with words like "awesome," "amazing," and "incredible" before and this is no exception. In light of their insufficiency, I will resort to expressions such as life-giving. restorative. nostalgic. heart-warming. spiritually filling. enlightening. and emotionally fusing. In short, being surrounded by people who know me deeply and understand and share the things most important to me reminded me of who I am.

I can't describe each facet of this restoration, but a different need of mine was met in Anchorage, in Girdwood and in Kenai. If you'd like the details, I guess you'll just have to ask. I'd be more than happy to share but I anticipate an inverse relationships between the length of a blog and the number of people who finish reading it.

The heart of what I want to say and what I experienced.

You cannot choose your actions independently of outside influence. We make choices daily that demonstrate what is in our heart. Sometimes we love what we do, sometimes we don't. How is it that we do things we dislike? It's counterintuitive. It is the core of who we are, our heart, that dictates the choices we make, despite our thick rationalization and heavy brooding.

How then do we have any amount of say into what happens to us? How can a man choose his course in life? Or even in one day?

By grace alone.

Most of what I'm saying was revealed to my dear brother Adam after intense study and prayer and seeking after wisdom from God. Through revelation, he challenged my understanding of grace and what it meant before we Hallmarked* it. I did a quick search just now and found a website with an awesome description: In most of the passages, however, in which the word "charis" [grace] is used in the New Testament, it signifies the unmerited operation of God in the heart of man, affected through the agency of the Holy Spirit.

Simply, grace is the direct influence of God upon our hearts.

We may not be able to control our decisions as much as we would like to, but we have a great deal of control over what we allow to influence our hearts. Our hearts may remain wild and untamed, subject to whim and circumstance, but they will be shaped into the image of that which influences them.

For those who don't yet know God, this still leaves an important principle dictating that we pour into our hearts that which we wish to become. What source is worthy of emulating? Who can we look to in perfect admiration?

To truly shine, we only need ask for grace to become more like the Holy One. He is faithful and eagerly awaiting those who desire to know Him.

An unlikely source to leave a lingering thought, but fitting nonetheless, Bloc Party's "The Prayer:"

Lord give me grace and dancing feet...





*the act of Hallmarking is where you take something beautiful and mysterious and reduce it to warm platitudes often expressed on cheesy cards that cost six dollars.

1 comment:

~lady j said...

oh, how mind-blowingly cool is grace. :) I'm so glad you wrote this! and i've got another definition for you that was given to me just last year and i just-- mmm. there's actually a whole study on it by this guy James Ryle, and it's just-- it altered my whole perspective.

"Grace is the Empowering Presence Of God enabling you to be who He created you to be and do what He has called you to do."

Yes!!! Now read like 1 Corinth 15:10, 2 Corinth 9:8 and Acts 20:32 with that definition and let your mind be blown a little. :)

I think I always tended to think of grace as rather-- well, graceful. but it's so much more intense than that! i'd been thinking of grace as something warm and sweet and feathery-- when it's way more like a forest fire or a thunderstorm!

Go in fearless, unshakable Grace, dear brother! :) And may you discover new facets of it every day.

(i didn't mean to write that much, but i got excited. :)