Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Priorities

We had an interesting discussion in class today revolving around the idea of a system of financial compensation for excellence in providing health care. We had a lengthy discourse on the "fight for justice" paradigm, this idea that if I've EARNED something, I'd better get what I've earned. Everyone was squabbling about how to insure that no one who didn't deserve their reward got it.

In one of my more abrasive moments, I challenged our class to aspire to more than merely working for the payday, but to be motivated by altruism and sacrificial giving. We must renew our minds now so that when confronted with a choice, we naturally react by nature of our virtue. I got a mixed response, varying between those demanding that a lucrative salary was a great reason to be a physician and those who were visibly stirred to think that there is something more to life than "getting their just desserts."

It really made me reflect on authenticity and honesty with one's self. It's a question I've asked myself before and will ask many times again: If I really believe what I say I believe, what practical choices will I make?

If I say I care most about loving my patients, I won't care about how well I'm compensated so long as I earn enough to continue to love my patients.

If I say I care most about getting what I deserve, I will do everything I can to protect and promote myself and do nothing that hinders me getting mine.

Just expressing the first of those dichotomous viewpoints brings over me a rush of peace and Godly wisdom, the principle of freely giving because I have freely received. The second reeks of futility, greed and frustration, characterized by a life lived surrounded by others, but alone.

It took some encouragement from one of my dear friends to get the ball rolling in class today, further confirming the importance of community in my life. I wasn't sure it would go over too well, and with some, it didn't. However, as class ended, several of my classmates approached me with gratitude for expressing what needed a voice.

We are surrounded by a great number of allies, no matter what our position, who will encourage and support us if only we will rise to the occasion.

3 comments:

TCW said...

Glad you spoke up. Keep pushing us and don't hold back!

Mark said...

way to represent! doode, i'm only beginning to learn about the complexities of a corrupt health care system in our country, but one thing is for sure - some doctors are in it just for the paycheck. glad to see that followers of Christ are following another drum beat.

ElanorJoy said...

I know you're a reader, have you ever read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand? I've read it a couple times (really well written book), and the thing is that when I read it, I agree with it, and in the book people who espouse 'doing things for the good of others because it is the right thing to do' are pretty much evil. Devestatingly evil. But gosh, I love others and want to love them the way Christ loves them, self-sacrificially. I don't really know what to do with that, I feel like there is some brilliant insight that would clarify the problem but I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe you can :-)