Saturday, May 26, 2007

Day One

What a perfect way to begin the summer. Sitting in the Kenai airport, the intercom comes on with "All flights have been canceled for the night, we can rebook you for the morning." So rather than doing something lame like driving back up to Anchorage, we hopped in my dad's plane and made it in pretty good time.

Good enough time for me to watch the new Pirates of the Carribean with some of the Anchorage crew (thanks to Jannell and Seth for making that all work). So after the flick I said my final goodbyes and hit the airport.

I slept pretty much the whole way from Anchorage to Taipei, a whopping 10 hours. Needed. I talked to some Taiwanese chicks from Taipei to Phnom Penh (said more like Nom Pen). They were really friendly and spoke good English. And they definitely wanted to hear about Jesus (for real). Who was I to stand in their way?? So yeah, they got an earful and my trip was off to a successful start. Keep praying guys, it's working!

I grabbed a taxi from the Phnom Penh airport and subsequently got severely ripped off (15 bucks for a 10 mile drive... seriously). But he dropped me off at the Kien Khleang Surgical Rehabilitation Center (he said most drivers didn't know where it was, but his mom had had surgery there). No one was working on Saturday, but after wondering around long enough, I met up with Samnang who is now my best friend in Cambodia. We've been hanging out all afternoon doing various Cambodian-esque things.

I told him I wanted to go to church tomorrow, and he said he's been wanting to go lately and could he go with me. I tried to convince him he shouldn't go, but he insisted. Psyche. I told him I'd love it, so we're on for tomorrow. Other meaningful events of today:

  • I'm staying at Samnang's uncle's house - a whopping 110 bucks a month for the whole upstairs and patio. Dang.
  • We ate some sweet food and got Cokes for like 2 bucks.
  • We waited out a rainstorm in a motorcycle shop while it took 2-3 hours to get his bike fixed. Final talley: 9 dollars.
  • I'm learning some basic Cambodian... excuse me, Khmer.

That's all I've got for now. Grace and peace to all of you. I'll put some pictures up next time if I can. God has been awesome and I'm stoked to see what He's up to here.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Sounds like you hit the ground running and that the Lord has great surprises in store for you. A big "hey" to Samnang from the Kenai crew. Mandy and Ely are here tonight. Love ya.