Thursday, May 31, 2007

The greatest Enemy of the Best is the Good

I'm not sure who said that originally, but it hit me hard last night at the Bible study. We were in the Samuels and it was in reference to Saul's disobedience to God with the whole sacrifice thing. But wow can I apply that in my own life. Too often we settle for something comfortable and Good and completely miss out on something convincingly Best. The study was led by an American guy and is a study through the whole Bible in sequence. He's teaching several pastors who come from miles around once a week. I felt very privileged to be invited. My Mormon friend, Richard, came too... he really loves the Lord and was grateful for a chance to study with others who study the Word. The "revelation" of Joseph Smith still seems like a complete crock to me, but Richard recognizes the identity of Christ as far as I can tell.

After the study was dinner at Scott's uncle's place. Their housekeeper cooked for several of us and it was quite good. I really enjoy spending time with the other students!

Today I spent some quality time in the OR. I got to do some suturing on a skin graft, put in a couple IVs (the first was a bust, the second I got first try!) and ended up closing a face operation. To give you a picture of health care here: the surgeon watched me do a couple sutures, then left to go do paperwork. As I was doing my last suture, the patient started waking up. So I tied things up quickly and let the nurse finish up with dressing. It's not uncommon for patients to start waking up toward the end of surgery here. And yes, that should trouble you.

Richard invited me to go shoot the military's weapons today, but I stayed in surgery. Apparently if you have the cash you can shoot anything the military has, from an AK-47 to an RPG to a tank. For real. But the prices were a bit out of my budget and I was into the surgery.

I ended up going to dinner with several med students/residents from the UK and Australia. It was a lovely time. I can't hide it anymore though. I'm speaking with a Brittish/Irish accent now, one that I've acquired from Aoife and Viv. They just sound cooler and I find myself wanting to imitate them. It's not intentional. Really. =)

I get to pray every morning in beautiful sunshine overlooking the Mekong River from my 2nd floor patio. I love it. That will be my next major task I'm thinking. It's nearly 10 o'clock here and my moto-driver is waiting outside. I might give him a bit extra. He is a polio survivor with a wife and kids who is attending university. I think he could probably use a few extra riel, eh? Blessings!

1 comment:

*~*Carol Q *~* said...

aron sues'day Ross, your writings are the sunshine of my day. There are many of us at Kenai Fellowship and Baldwin & Butler that start our mornings reading of your daily events and reflections - thank you! u r a great inspiration. God Bless and stay safe :)