Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What the Easter Bunny isn't telling you

My favorite Puerta Rican recently made me aware of a problem with Easter. While I fully support egg-hunting, bunnies, bright colors, fake grass, jelly beans and Jesus rising from the dead to bring life to the world, there is one aspect of this joyful holiday I can no longer endorse with a clear conscience.

I'm warning you right now, if you are female or under the age of 13 and want to fully enjoy the holiday, go read about the latest invention that should be in every Easter basket.

Just so that you're fully informed, this will definitely put on smudge on your festivities.

Last chance.

Ok.

For real.

...

It's the chocolate. (you still have a chance to stop reading!!) I can no longer endorse most chocolate for Easter or any other application for that matter. If there was an official website where you could endorse things officially, I would heretofore withdraw my endorsement of chocolate in most forms.

Here's the scoop. Most cocoa or cacao or whatever you want to call it is grown in Ivory Coast, roughly 40% comes from there. Now while there are many family farms that pass from generation to generation, there are also farms that employ forced labor, offering lucrative jobs to children and then completely enslaving the workers once they arrive on site. They often recruit from other countries in order to completely subjugate their workers and leave them no recourse to protest their conditions. Mali has been especially hard-hit by slave traders. There are countless stories online detail the practice of cocoa slave traders. One boy way promised a bicycle to come work, then inhumanely abused as a worker. Needless to say, no bicycle ever appeared.

What can we do about it? Not a whole lot right now, but the idea of buying a Snickers doesn't seem quite as sweet now thinking that I would be enjoying on the backs of abused children. It actually bothers me a lot that I could still eat chocolate and probably not flinch. I've become dulled to oppressing others by my purchasing and indulging habits. Is it ridiculous to cut out chocolate completely? Probably. But that's the kind of life I have committed myself to when I signed on with Christ. Ridiculous. oh well.

Who's guilty??? Almost all cocoa not specified as "Fair Trade" is bought by purchasers at cocoa markets where cocoa from all over the world mixes. In these markets, there is no differentiation between chocolate produced by just practices and that produced by oppression. This almost guarantees that slave cocoa makes it into the mix of most major brands. Specifically, Nestle, Hershey's, Mars and yes, even Cadbury all purchase "blood cocoa."

There is a spark of hope for chocolate lovers: Fair Trade chocolate. I wouldn't suggest that every single person stop eating all chocolate, but I would request that you would support an alternative to slavery. Start mixing some Fair Trade chocolate into your purchases.

Every purchase you make supports either fair practices or unjust practices.




P.S. I concede that not all children can realistically jump and dance all day in fields of green with butterflies and bubbles, and realize that working is actually a pretty good choice for children in poor countries given the current social conditions. Read up on what's going on in the slave trade and realize that we are supporting unnecessary slavery and abuse with our $13 billion of chocolate purchases every year.

6 comments:

TCW said...

Well...you have now spoiled Christmas, Easter, Halloween, and Valentine's day....but I appreciate the PSA on chocolate. I've been meaning to cut back on my candy intake and this is just the impetus I needed. Thanks!

hootenannie said...

You warned me.

I still read.

I'm sad.

But appreciative. Thanks for the reminder, and some additional info that I didn't know. Maybe this will be the final moral push to help me lose those 10 lbs! :)

Becki said...

I'm kind of disappointed in you Dr. Baldwin. I'm surprised that you warned us so much ahead of time, but I am really glad that I ignored your warnings. There's two big positives about having people less excited to eat chocolate: first, bad work practices as you stated and second, this country needs to curtail it's sweets consumption with the drastic rise in diabetes and obesity.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Let's boycott away.

siennamydog said...

I guess I am shocked that I am just now hearing about this now when it has been happening for so many years. I have never had a big love affair with chocolate anyway but I am committed now to buy fair trade chocolate as much as I can...I am also passing this on....I had a discussion about this with my kids. This morning Joshua told the children's pastor at our church he should only use fair trade chocolate for their rewards. I need to work with Joshua on his tact in handling these things but he can be very passionate! Thanks for sharing about this, Ross.

Bidesi said...

Yey! It's spreading!

siennamydog said...

So we have created a monster, Ross! Joshua is preaching fair trade chocolate left and right. Yesterday after his sports conditioning class, he sat down next to this boy and said, "Can I talk to you about something?" He then proceeded like a multi-level marketing salesman trying to persuade this very uninterested young man to buy and eat only fair trade chocolate. He is also questioning my choices at the store now. It's great. He has always been this passionate about things though. He has boycotted Gogurts since he was five years old.