Friday, May 2, 2008

The Gospel of the Birdcall of 9

Let me introduce this post in the most appropriate of post-introducing ways:

KA-REEEEER!!!!!

If you have no idea what that means, I'm sorry, for I feel that I have failed both you and those who have gone before me in the way of the Gospel of the Birdcall of 9. Please forgive me. For those who know EXACTLY what that means and all that it entails, I beg your forgiveness as well, for I have forgotten my past and that which has molded me.

I was riding my bike along the Burke-Gilman trail as I was on my way to class this morning. I spied, on the other side of Sand Point Way, a parallel friend strolling on her way to class. I wanted to get her attention and simultaneously tell her that I appreciated her as a friend and that seeing her makes me happy. The noise of the cars on the road, the fleeting nature of the moment and my own hesitation prevented the interaction, thus nipping in the bud the joy that could have been added to the day.

And that's when I remembered. I remembered how life used to be.

Flash back to Texas. It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, the college students are swarming out of Chapel. And all of a sudden, it comes cracking through the din like a bolt slung by Thor: KA-REEER!!! and you turn, ka-reering in return, before your eyes even make contact, and then they do, and you smile, laugh and go on your way if you're busy, or perhaps stroll over and share the latest on the way to the Bean (school cafeteria).

Coming to a new place, leaving behind friends near and dear, the Way of the Birdcall has faded. But today, today I made a new commitment to share with others the Gospel of the Way of the Birdcall. I've told others of the joy of the Birdcall, I've convinced them of its beauty and authenticity at times. At other times, they've merely blown me off, not believing that something so noble could exist, or perhaps twisting the message in their minds and dismissing it as something childish and irrelevant in today's culture.

No longer will I settle for merely speaking of the Birdcall. No longer will I withhold a due birdcall in shame. I must show others the joy of living with the Birdcall. So today, as I crossed over the pedestrian overpass and looked up the street to see the picketers blowing their whistles and waving their signs, I encouraged them with a hearty sound. The man on his cell phone looked at me askance, but I detected a hint of smile in his eyes and knew that his day was better for having been a part of that moment.

I guess you could take this as a spiritual metaphor or whatever. To that, all I have to say is:

KAAAAAAAAA-REEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

4 comments:

Mark said...

this is probably the most important work ever written in the history of the world...plus mars. seriously. all other literary works in production should stop right now and nothing new should ever be started. we have reached the pinnacle of humanity's development.

MistaB said...

Ha! I know what you're talking about, but it just doesn't have the significance for Gilead members. In fact, your other housemates thought it was irritating!

Did you know that there's a HUGE population of absolutely dedicated atheists on blogger? I've been communicating with one lately. His last post was showing the contradictions of the Bible by showing how Jesus' last words on the cross are recorded differently 3 times. I left him a comment, but I'm curious what you think about that.

Anonymous said...

Ke-REER!

You crack me up. Great post.

Unknown said...

Kereer!

Keep up to good work! And don't forget how long it was until my soul and will bent to the beauty of the birdcall. I plan to spread said gospel this summer with my hundred's of highschool students/leaders/community members in an effort to bring Oklahoma into the know.

Blessings!