Monday, May 12, 2008

Hurdles

Just finished my OCP... that's Oral Case Presentation to the layman. I'm sitting in an art-deco meets preschool 5th floor lounge set aside for the few, the proud, the classroom-bound medical students. I should be reworking my pharm cases, but I wanted to blog.

Hurdles. Hurdles define this year for me. I only actually tried running hurdles once or twice in middle school, but from what I remember, it goes something like this:

1. start running as fast as you can
2. realized there is a big metal thing in your way
3. awkwardly jump over it and try not to wipe out on the landing
4. realize you're still alive, upright and still propelling forward
5. repeat

As much as anyone enjoys running hurdles, everyone has a breaking point where they wear out. You have to stop, catch your breath, reflect, refresh and possibly regurgitate, before starting the next race. I mostly have felt this year that I was in the middle of the race: sprint, leap, land, repeat without much of a chance to catch my breath. Some of the hurdles were great: Spring Break skiing, a plethora of live musical performances, dinner with friends, parties, church... all good things... still hurdles.

I cherish the moments when I can lose myself in the moment and embrace the vigor of the race as lively and intense. Hanging from a rock wall, exploding a pocket of powder, absorbing full auditory and visual stimulation, savoring an exquisite taste... Flashes of full engagement. But even more do I enjoy the moments when I can look the next hurdle in the face with nonsensical peace and calmly engage in this path that has been chosen. I lost that feeling for a while this year, but was then reminded of the incredible power I have when I fall to the ground with my hands lifted up to my most gracious Father. Thank you.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I loved this post. The hurdles struck a chord with me today.
I love you cousin!!!