Friday, June 1, 2007

A Reckoning

So much to write about. So little time.

I just took my first hot shower in Cambodia and it was fantastic. I'm sitting in Dr. Gollogly's house (he started the hospital here) praising God for his goodness and faithfulness. I can't really put this into words, but I'll try. The feeling of a hot shower pales in comparison to experiencing the blessing of God!

So most of you probably don't know that I failed Microbiology in this year, my first year of medical school. The last final I took. Most people would explain it as burn-out or poor academic performance. Rebellion is what it was. I decided the last week of school that God was not a necessary part of daily life for the moment and I would do just fine running things how I wanted them. Big mistake.

He gave me several chances at repentance and sustained me through them, but I didn't seem to listen. So on Friday, I failed a common final, and a course in medical school. Later that day, I got sick. And our house ran out of toilet paper (you can imagine what kind of sickness it may have been - and yes, it was of microbiological origin, probably one of the bugs I should have learned about). So late that night, I went into Eric's room and confessed my sinfulness to a brother. He listened and prayed over me and there was healing that took place (confess your sins to one another and you will be healed).

But I'd still failed a test. Skip forward to Cambodia. From the time I got here, I knew I would have a retake exam looming over the rest of my summer. It was scheduled for the day after I get back from Ecuador. So I started praying that the Lord would lift the burden from me. I kept getting threatening emails about my need to perform well, but I kept praying.

This evening, I checked my mail and saw an email from my professor. As I went to open it, an incredible feeling of elation came over me with absolutely no doubt as to what the news would be. I passed. They struck 3 questions, bringing my score up to a 70.2. This is not a story of luck, or my ineptitude at microbiology, but of my absolute, 100% dependence on God for every good thing, whether in life or in school. PRAISE HIM!!!!!! I PASSED AND DON'T HAVE TO STUDY ALL SUMMER!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! (so I'm a bit excited)

I WAS planning on writing about how I've been using some of the money the 18-30 group sent me with (they took up a collection for me at Changepoint before I left). They gave me about $140 just on a whim and I'm doing my best to spend it wisely.

So my moto driver last night couldn't use his legs. He has a special bike with two wheels in the back. On our long night ride, he told me his story. He'd had polio and is in a program for disabled Cambodians studying Instrument Technology. He drives his moto when he's not studying to help support his pregnant wife and child who live in the provences. He doesn't have much, but he recognizes Jesus as Lord and asks Him for help. Usually a moto ride home would cost me about $1.25. Everything in me wanted to help this guy, so I dropped a 20 from the Changepoint money. That will pay for prenatal care for his wife & new baby and possibly allow him to go visit them more often. In a world where so many people are trying to scam you, it's really nice to run into some one who deserves your charity.

Another five was spent today on a boy named Dah who sells books from a shopping basket in the Russian Market. I saw him a few days ago and we hit it off. I ran into him again today and decided to give in to his request to buy him a soccer ball so he could play soccer at school with his friends (none of them have a ball). He thanked me quite profusely, and then his older brother thanked me and asked Dah if he could borrow the ball sometimes. They seemed like a great family.

$25 and such a great impact. I won't get to watch my moto driver and his wife go to the hospital together. I won't see the Cambodian kids playing with Dah's ball. But just knowing their joy at receiving is pretty darn satisfying.

We cut surgery short this morning and took a trip to a facility where they are educating and training poor children for the workforce. The food at the restaurant there was absolutely wonderful (some are training to cook). Our meal price went to support the work there. Afterwords we toured the Phnom Penh dump. That's right, where all the garbage is. It's just around the corner from the facility because most of the poor children they traing would end up scrounging at the dump otherwise. I've put up some new photos.


Cambodia pictures, round 2 - click to see them

Aoife, Viv and Richard leave tomorrow, so tonight we'll be out on the town at a place called "Elsewhere." Apparently lots of expats go there on the first Friday of every month to do stupid things. Perfect place for a farewell and a happy birthday to me! I'll miss them, but there are 4 new students coming in on Sunday. Oops. I should have been praying for them. Oh well. Here goes another night!

No comments: