Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Refocusing

Lately this web-writing thing has been kind of scattered. I started this so that people who love me would know what was going on in my life. Rather than sending out mass emails about my summer travels, I thought, "Hey, why not just broadcast what I'm about for the world to see? Maybe I'll inspire some one!" That's what I want this to be about. I want people to laugh more and be more intentional about living. Living actively rather than responsively. I want to share the best things, the most admirable things, the worthy things that I contact because this world does not shed light on such things enough. I started this so that God would be glorified. Lately though, I've been doing some thinking about how to take the next step into being a part of what is admirable. It start with a healthy understanding of

Stupidity…

…is often associated with impaired reasoning, lack of knowledge or misperception of the outside world. Yet none of those need be present for stupidity to rear its head. In what context then? In the context of relationship. In the context of forcibly placing your own wishes and perspectives and interpretations in the path of some one else, leaving them no alternative but to dive through your twisted web of past experience, beliefs and preferences. Why would we do such things? Why impose? I have no reasonable response; reason has little to do with it. Yet we persist in casting forth our webs to trap and hold those around us in the patterns that we create for them. Can satisfaction be taken in such actions? I can imagine so, but only with relentless self-confidence spurred on by a paternalistic mindset and an individual dedicated to the idea that their own vision for the world rings with absolute clarity and goodness.

It hurts every time.

Why stupidity? Pride.

When, oh when, will I exchange this stupidity for humility?

I must become less that Christ may increase.

1 comment:

sarahesperanza said...

I was thinking about this tonight.... I think we're young- we're allowed to be stupid. not that it's fun all the time, and stupid sometimes hurts, but hey, I'm going to have to be wise someday, so maybe I'll try embracing not-wise for a bit while it's here. And I have a lot of not-wise stored up on this night-before-the-path-exam. sigh... hope studying is going well in your world.