Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Piety

When it comes to life, I've got it more than pretty good. I don't need to sit here and tell you how great everything is for me, but suffice it to say that my idea of a rough week is one where I don't get to do something exceedingly fun with exceptional people. A life lived in such a fashion has notable potential to produce a whole lot of guilt regarding the people whose rough week is one where they don't eat.

This is not a new struggle, but one that has haunted me since I first really started engaging God and seeking to understand His purpose in my life and more generally, the world. I've definitely felt the tug to sell everything, give my money away and go squat under a bridge. At least then I wouldn't feel guilty. That's a lie. I would have replaced the previous guilt with the guilt of having squandered irreplaceable resources.

This year has been somewhat of an experiment. I've honestly felt the call to put aside piety and just enjoy what was before me. And it's great! Seattle has a ton to offer!! Skiing, climbing, hiking, famous musicians, rising stars, plays, professional sports, exotic food, more varieties of beer than I could taste in a lifetime. All these things at my fingertips. And yet, handing over a 20 dollar bill for a night of entertainment, I sometimes cringe realizing what that money could buy in Cambodia. Literally, it could feed a family for a week.

This Sunday, my preacher clarified the confusion with a simple admonition: "Don't attempt to be more pious than God."

In short, it is not our work to deprive ourselves of everything in a reckless attempt to fix the world. Neither is it our place to live lives of endless pleasure-seeking that never satisfies. It is our place to enjoy the work that God has put before us, and the fruit of that work and in doing so, loving ourselves. It is only with that framework that we can begin to love our neighbors in the same way we love ourselves. There's a whole lot I could say about that, but the final piece for me was realizing who my neighbor is.

The Good Samaritan is the quintessential example of being a good neighbor. He wasn't out there feeding the homeless or starting new charities. He had some business to attend to. Then something interrupted his life, but rather than seeing it as an interruption, he saw it as an opportunity to alleviate suffering, so he laid down his desires and plans temporarily, and loved some one as he would have loved himself in the same circumstances, then continued about his business. No huge missions, no crusades, nothing worth waving banners around, just simple life, seeing the needs in the proximal context and using the available resources to patch something together.

I don't need to, in fact shouldn't, make my life hell so that people halfway across the world can eat. The number of people who are going to die is too overwhelming for me to start counting pennies... or twenties. But I would be hugely remiss to think that nothing is required of me either. I intend to more forward in alleviating the suffering around me while enjoying the heck out of life and my work, with a huge smile on my face.

That's a good start.

3 comments:

~lady j said...

Yes. Yes and yes some more!
I totally feel you on this struggle, but this is excellent perspective. Hope the rest of your week is brilliant :)

Smudge said...

I like this one Ross - it's that unproductive guilt that rears it's ugly head at times. This is a fresh approach to that idea of appreciating.

MistaB said...

Totally agreed. However, when I think along the same lines, I often remember that verse where Paul says its no value to him to simply do as he's told. What do you think?