Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cooperstown

I'll be living in Cooperstown, New York for the next five years. In case you haven't heard, it's home to the baseball Hall of Fame and approximately 2,000 people in central-ish New York on Lake Otsego, about 4 hours from New York City. More pertinent to this post, it is home to Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital and the Bassett surgery residency program. Additionally, the Mithoefer Center for Rural Surgery is a part of the Bassett program. It is basically an institute geared toward the idea of rural surgery as an entity somewhat separate and unique from mainstream general surgery.

Essentially, this all means that I will be training in a rural town, learning a particularly broad spectrum of surgery and working with other residents who have interest in rural/international surgery.

Learning about my match went down like this. I took a little bit longer lunch break last Thursday, Match Day, to head down to the riverbank and brought my laptop along. I spent some time in prayer and hung out with a local kid who was trying to sell me bracelets before cranking up the computer and learning of my fate. It was a beautiful backdrop for receiving the news and I read the words with some excitement. I ordered some grilled fish, avocado & yucca fries at a restaurant by the river before heading back to work for the evening. That night, I met up with a couple of the residents from the hospital, the two expat girls and one of their boyfriends for some barbecue at The Yellow Rose of Texas, a local restaurant owned by a guy from Texas. It was a great way to celebrate some really great news!

While I had some good options on the West Coast, I can honestly say that none of them have training equivalent to Cooperstown for rural surgery. The skiing won't be quite as good from what I hear, but there are all kinds of amazing recreational opportunities right out the back door. They even have an outdoor hockey rink!

The major downside of living in such a cool place is that it is a ways away from the most important people in my life. In fact, it's about 1-1.5 hours from a large airport. However, I'll be working around 80 hours a week, not leaving a whole lot of time for social engagements. I'm planning to use my time off to head back to Alaska whenever I can though. Overall, I'm pretty darn excited to start residency!!

2 comments:

Becki said...

congratulations Ross! It sounds like a great program for you to get some highly relevant training. When do you go? You'll definitely be missed, but God's plans don't leave time to dwell on that, so I hope the excitement crowds it out some.

Mark said...

way to go brotha! (and fellow ally...bru ha ha!) work hard!