Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fin de semana #3 - Welcome to the Jungle

La Merced was the destination. The group consisted of 3 girls I'd run into in a restaurant while out with the doctory type, a Huancayino and an English rockstar. The girls were from Maryland, N. Carolina and France/England and are here volunteering at an orphanage. After a quiet Friday night at home for me, we met up at the bus terminal on Saturday a.m. to commence our journey.

The rest of the crew was wiped out from dancing until 4:30 in the morning, but somehow managed to rally for an 8 a.m. bus ride. I was so proud. So we talked briefly before most of the crew passed out on the bus. I enjoyed the beautiful scenery between Huancayo and La Merced and tried to sleep when the turns got a little too twisty.



Upon arrival in La Merced, we snacked (a popular pastime with this group), they slept, I visited a local hospital and we embarked on a beautiful hike through the jungle to a waterfall. We made it back that night in time to eat and experience a small amount of the city life before tucking in for the night.



We arranged for a guided tour on Sunday, which I will admit I was not a huge fan of, but I was following the crowd. It turned out pretty great. We learned about local history, agriculture, native groups and such. We even visited an "authentic native village" where we were greeted with traditional clothing, a story, dancing and exotic animals. Afterward, we were expected to buy souvenirs and stuff, but I didn't. I did pay 50 cents to have my picture taken with an exotic rodent (pacarana) eating an ice cream though.



Finally, we got down to business and headed way out of town to hike up to another waterfall that was pretty spectacular. We went swimming despite the coolish temperatures and I got a great massage from the cascading water. I also managed to take a fall off a boulder that I was climbing, but our guide, Jesus (hey-SOOSE), was there to catch me and I wasn't hurt a bit. Anyone care to comment on this irony???



There was tons more that happened over the weekend, but it was little stuff, like getting yelled at about nutritional supplements on the bus, riding on the back of a moto taxi, trying to make animal-shaped balloons in the pub, countless jokes with new friends about American vs British culture, eating giant rodents, finding obscure bands in common with people from across the pond, driving through a river on a cliff and hoping the bus wouldn't slip and planning our next escapade. Believe me, it's in the works, and it very well may involve snacking.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Jesus is good at that ;)

Hope you are doing well friend!
Looks like you are having fun

P.S. So many things happened at my lifegroup tonight that showed how AMAZING God is :).. for lack of a better word because he is indescribable.

ttyl
Christy