Monday, March 22, 2010

Fin de semana #6 - Man Versus Wild

Okay, so my Amazon jungle experience wasn't quite that hardcore seeing as I had a guide and a roof over my head, but despite not being totally swarmed by mosquitoes or almost dying, it was a pretty amazing experience. I heard about my guide from the girl from Holland at my hospital. He works for Ecoexplorers which is owned and operated by Carlos Grande, not to be confused with my GUIDE Carlos, or ME when I go by Carlos down here. (people have a hard time with Ross, and my first name translated is Carlos).

So I met up with Carlos and Carlos Saturday morning at 7:15 to catch a rapido (fast boat) downriver to Santa Maria de Fatima. Despite the mouthful, it's a tiny village of thatched roof, open-air huts spread out sparsely in the jungle next to the Amazon. Carlos is friends with a family there that is always happy to host and cook for tourists, so we based our weekend adventures out of their place.

First was a stroll through the jungle to check out whatever we could find. Mostly trees. My guide had studied a lot of traditional medicine so was full of information about all the plants and their medicinal uses. Pretty cool stuff. I also got to try my hand at playing Tarzan: climbing trees, swinging from vines and the like. Really, just being in the middle of the jungle swinging a machete was pretty neato.



We headed back to the hut for lunch and to escape the midday heat. As afternoon rolled around, we hopped in a motorized canoe and headed upriver to fish. The poles were nothing more than a line tied to the end of a bamboo rod. The fish were all pretty small, but made for good eating later that night. We didn't catch a ton, but managed to pull in a few piranhas and catfish. After fishing, we cruised around until we found some freshwater pink dolphins to watch for a while. I went for a swim off the side of the boat, which was a little unnerving, but totally refreshing. As evening rolled around, we hung out on the Amazon watching the sun set before returning to cook up our catch and spend the night in mosquito-net hammocks.



It strikes me that while all this was really cool, this post is getting kinda long so here's a summary of day 2:
- breakfast of giant snails we found the day before
- hike to a reserve for monkeys
- discover my camera batteries no longer work
- play with monkeys, tucans, anaconda, sloths and prehistoric turtle
- get a monkey tongue up my nose
- try some jungle-brew whiskey/mead
- head back for lunch
- swim in the river, throw local kids off the side of a boat, watch soccer
- climb a tree & get eaten by ants inhabiting the tree
- join a local volleyball game & win 3 soles
- die from overheating, use 3 soles to revive myself with cool beverage
- watch a fierce competition between the local soccer team and a visiting team from another pueblo; rejoice at our victory
- cruise back to Iquitos at dusk watch the jungle fade to black and the lightening flash in the distance
- Praise God for an amazing weekend.

No comments: