Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Daily Grind

The alarm clock is set for 7 a.m. (which means I roll out of bed at about 7:20) and breakfast is waiting downstairs. The initial offerings included fruit, eggs and avocado, but the family I'm staying with has since realized that I really only eat a piece of bread and drink a cup of coffee (instant coffee, sugar, milk & hot water). If I'm feeling ravenous, I'll stack on some jelly or a piece of cheese. I'm out the door at 7:45 and walk less than a block to the main road through Tambo. Huancayo proper is actually a bit to the south of my place. It usually takes a couple minutes to spot a legit taxi looking for a fare. The price to the hospital is 3 soles, which equates to about a dollar.

Five minutes later I'm at the entrance to the hospital, greeting the security guards at the gate, walking through the courtyard and I head to my daily work. Since obtaining my white coat from Dr. Montano, none of the guards have really questioned my right to be there and give me confused looks when they ask my last name, but let me by.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I'm in the OR all day with the general surgeons. Occasionally I'll check out other surgeries. This week I stepped in on an emergency GYN surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy (lots of internal bleeding) and a revision of a nasty tibia fracture. I don't do anything, just watch. Wednesdays I scrub in with the pediatric surgeons and usually get to help out a bit. This week we removed a 10 pound ovarian tumor from a 13 year old. It was ugly.

I suppose it was the arrogant American in me that assumed I would walk in and get to operate or have a pretty active role in the OR, but there are usually two surgeons on all general surgeries and they work 12 hour days doing nothing but operating. I share 2nd assist duties with the interns here. On simple surgeries, I sometimes first assist and actually got to head up removing a fatty tumor from a guy this week. It has tested my patience to sit and watch surgeries that I've seen a lot of already, but I will be there soon enough.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I generally tag along for morning rounds with the surgeon of the day and the intern covering the surgery floor. After rounds I help with dressing changes, wound care and sometimes head down to the ER to hang out with a doc down there. Dr. Carlos is a medicine doc that is pretty proficient in English and enjoys the chance to practice, so I've been hanging out with him in the ER when he's on. I actually learn quite a bit of medical Spanish from him as well.

I'm usually out the door before 5 on non-OR days and today I came home for a nap, which wiped me out for the rest of the day. I walked downtown to see if I could catch a movie at the mall, but the one I wanted to see was in Spanish rather than in English with subtitles. Sometimes I just need a break from stumbling through Spanish.

So instead, I ate dinner at the mall food court and then headed to the central plaza/park and just hung out. This may sound kinda corny, but tonight was kind of a date with God. I haven't been doing so hot on spending time with Him lately and tonight was a great chance to just relax and enjoy the presence of my Creator.

This weekend is looking like it will be full even though I'm probably staying in Huancayo. I'm okay with that, especially considering that I have a potential grand adventure in the works...

No comments: