Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Redeeming a bad Monday (2/2)

Fresh out of the hospital after an unspeakably frustrating morning, I took a long walk home to chill out a little. I spent some time relaxing at the house before calling up a friend to meet up in the park (the Jesus-lovin' gal I met at the discoteca). There was a crowd at the park watching a heated volleyball match and when I asked, it was a team of "maricones" that was dominating. Now there are about a billion words for homosexual in Peru, but maricon (merry-CONE) is the most widely accepted.

My friend and I went for a walk and talked for a while at a juice stand where they basically blend up whatever fresh fruit you want and dump it in a glass. Delish. She had some wise things to say that helped redirect my angst and we discussed our life goals and stuff. Good times. She had to cruise to class that evening and I headed back to the park to try my hand at volleyball.

I watched the conclusion of a match where the maricones again kicked some major butt. It seemed that the winner of the match kept the court and took on challengers. So I hopped down onto the court to see if I could join the next group of challengers. However, as soon as I stepped up, the whole crowd started cheering. Apparently, gringos don't show up to play volleyball a whole lot. As our team slowly formed, one of the reigning champs told me to join their team, as they were one down. If I thought the cheering was loud when I walked on, it was doubled when I stepped onto the other side of the court.

We ended up playing a pretty close match and some really good volleyball. Man, those guys can play. There were definitely a few pretty hilarious moments like when one guy set the ball for me to hit and simultaneously called out "Mi amor!" I'm used to getting teased about the girls here liking me, so it really wasn't that much different and everyone was just out to have fun and joke around. We ended up winning, and apparently there was some money on the game because I came away 1 sol richer. I wasn't a standout player and made my share of mistakes, but also got a few nice spikes in. They invited me back at least...

Afterward I met up with my gringo crew at a pizza joint downtown for some good times and okay pizza. My friend finished her classes and took me to a bar with live Peruvian music and colchitas (kind of like spiced rum) for a nightcap before I tucked in for the night.

It was a long day and the stark contrast between my morning and my afternoon still surprises me a bit, but I'm thankful that the pain of my lesson in humility from that morning was far outshone by the richness and the fullness of engaging in the lives of the beautiful diversity of people that God has made.

No comments: