Tuesday, July 24, 2007

El Ultimo

My final foreign entry... ¡Que triste!

As if to affirm me as His child walking in His will, I got a sweet little going away present. Walking away from the airport in Guayaquil after confirming my flight time, I walked up next to a guy with a Bible in his hand walking along the sidewalk. Here's a translation of our conversation:

Me: "Good evening"
Him: "Good evening, you are a Christian?"
Me (a little surprised): "Yes..."
Him: "Mormon?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Evangelical?"
Me: "More or less."
Him: (goes off into this story about how he had just arrived and needed to go somewhere and didn't have money for a taxi for some reason I didn't understand.)
Me: *hands him cab fare* "Were you praying about this just now?"
Him: (affirmative, excited Spanish noises accompanied by many thank you's and praise God's)
Me: all smiles

Just to catch you up, I left the Hacienda de Esperanza after a 7:30 breakfast. A bunch of the kids, Becki, some random guy and I piled into the Hacienda's van and headed down to the main road, otherwise a 15 minute walk. After some quick hugs and Ecuadorian-style fake kisses, I jumped on the bus that pulled up JUST in time. Except for a couple quick food breaks, and a bus switch in Quito, I traveled all day and am now waiting for my flight in Guayaquil.

It leaves at 1am, I have 6 hours in Houston and then a direct flight home to Anchorage getting in at 4:30pm. I have an ERA reservation for 7:30 to come back to Kenai!

I think my last post had some pretty good end-of-trip reflections in it, and I'm pretty tired right now. I might have to keep writing about the rest of my summer just so I don't end on a lame note.

Oh yeah, just thought of another cool thing. I sat next to a Christian lady on the bus too. This place is swarming with them. She had a really cute little girl that was a fireball the whole trip, but not in an annoying way. It was really cool because I had no clue what the other girl I was sitting next to was saying, but could understand the Christian lady really well. It made me wonder if there was something more going on there.

And another thing, I put Justin (the administrator at the Hacienda) in touch with Eduardo. The Hacienda is looking for house parents and Eduardo is looking for work... I figured, what the heck. I hope it works out, he would be an AWESOME dad for a bunch of little kids, and his wife would be great with them too.

Okay, that's feeling a little less lame. I just had my last meal of chicken, rice and lentils, my staple here and am going to head back to the airport to stir up some more trouble. Thanks for being readers, faithful or spontaneous! And thanks to God for giving me fingers with good endurance... actually, we can go ahead and thank Him for everything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ross, I wanted to look at some of your pictures. How do I connect with you on Facebook so I can see them.
I'm from Pleasant Ridge and friends with Daniel's family.
Have a safe trip home.
I've enjoyed reading your adventures every day.
And again am so thankful you were with Daniel and thank you for friendship with him.
May God continue to bless you richly,
Winnie
winnie@web-rocket.net
817-999-2848-cell

Anonymous said...

Ross: Thank you for your running comments all summer. I have enjoyed reading them very much. Welcome home and best wishes for a great 2nd year!
--Steven Floerchinger, MD FACS

Shelly said...

What a cool story to end with! I know your fam. will be glad to see you when you get home! Hugs--
Shelma

Mark said...

Great stories doode. It's been great following your stories. I honestly hope that you keep this blog going, and that you share with us more about the wild and wooly adventure you're on!