Monday, July 23, 2007

Hacienda de Esperanza and Otovalo

The kids are darling. I don't know what it is about orphans, but it seems like they just soak up love and attention. Diana, Maria, Katy, Gladys, Jorge and John are absolutely adorable and range from 5 to 10 years old. There are two older kids that have been at a local Christian camp this week, Christian and Leoli. The little girls run up to you for hugs and crawl in your lap when you have a lap available. They are all smiles and their words to God before meals have been very humbling and inspiring.

(Hacienda de Esperanza is translated as ¨home of hope¨ roughly)

It was hard to leave this morning, but I wanted to make it up to Otavalo (where I am sitting right now) so that I could leave a significant amount of money behind me when I go back home. I was successful. Otavalo is known for its handmade crafts sold by the local indigios (natives). And if you're wondering, no, I didn't get you anything. =)

Lately, people have been asking me what I learned in Ecuador, or why I think God sent me here. Oh boy, here it comes!

I have absolutely no idea.

And I'm okay with that.

I honestly don't care too much about the why's. I'm not too concerned with putting things in nice tidy boxes so I can pull one out labeled ¨Ecuador¨ and display it to the curious passerby. The mystery of God is beckoning me to realize that I am changed deeply by encountering Him, in ways that words only serve to cheapen. I follow Him regardless of whether I am blessed or beaten down, whether he opens up the floodlights to the path ahead, or whether I stumble in the dark with only His hand to guide me.

My righteousness is looking less like me being a good person and more like me realizing my depravity and need for constant reconciliation with God. And yet, at the same time, my flesh is dying to the joys of this world and desiring more permanent satisfaction. And I don't mean to sound ascetic because I clearly love good food and hurling my body up and down various courses, but I'm realizing that those things are merely shadows of something much greater.

The fruits of this trip to Ecuador and both tangible and intangible. I've talked mostly about the intangible because it's a lot more mysterious and intriguing, but let me just conclude for now by praising God for the countless impacts He has had on lives because of the experiences of a couple clueless guys stumbling around a foreign country or two. I am humbled by the fact that you have taken the time to follow our stories and shown such incredibly love and faithfulness, both in your words and prayers.

I'm feeling a little nostalgic because I'm leaving tomorrow, so if that sounded like a farewell address, it's just me warming up to leave. Peace!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this post..

Shelly said...

I hope you keep up your blog when you get back! I'm so glad you were so good about writing about all your adventures, thoughts, etc. It'll be fun for your kids to read this one day! And mine! Let us know when you can that you're back home safe and sound! love ya--

Becki said...

Tthanks for pointing out that you don't need to know the reason, just to follow Him. I need to hear that in my life as well and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Only with God can broken and strong be complete together. I can never happen in the world's eyes. You my brother are both. Restful travels.