Friday, July 13, 2007

Today and Tomorrow a.k.a. Jet Planin´ It Up

Another sleepless night for Daniel and another night of interrupted sleep for me. We were both worn out this morning and I was feeling discouraged despite a really excellent day yesterday. Things just aren´t shaping up like I wanted them to. Daniel is supposed to be totally well by now and I´m supposed to be off spreading light in other places.

Then again, it was never really about me was it?

I was incredibly humbled today to realize that when we are serious about serving God, our selfish desires play a fairly minor role. God tells us exactly how to be happy: Be poor in spirit, mourn, be humble, have a pure heart, make peace and so on. Then God will make us happy. Too often I try to ask God to make me happy under the circumstances and ideals I´ve placed myself in. Today was a nice jolt back to reality. As I was commiserating with Daniel, him lying there in the bed, he floored me by saying, ¨Hey Ross, you want to pray together?¨

It was a sweet time, despite the interruptions and I felt yet again refreshed, both by the faithfulness of my friend and by the provision of God to renew me daily. All glory to Him who can miraculously renew what was dead!

Daniel was approved to fly home. So tomorrow we drive to Manta (45 minutes) in an ambulance while Daniel´s parents ride with a Christian sister named Ruthie who will translate for them at the airport and get everything ready for our arrival. Then we fly to Quito to spend the night. The morning flight takes off at 6:30 for Houston and Dallas. I will see them off at the airport.

Daniel got his 15 sutures out today and will get his central line out tomorrow. Back to no tubes sticking out of his body, and only one colostomy bag on his back. For the 30 hours of travelling he will have pills, water, Ensure and prayer to sustain him. Please pray that the travelling goes well. He will check into a hospital in Forth Worth when he lands in the Dallas area.

MEDICALESE TO FOLLOW

Inflammation down, white bloods cell count steady at around 13-14k. Fever off and on up to 39 C. Dr. Bello says that Daniel´s fistula is immature (leaking into the surrounding tissues) and will be mature in another 9 days or so. When that happens, it should more closely resemble a tube created by the body that separates the badness from his living tissue.

He still believes the fistula will close on its own given enough time and does not want to recommend any more surgery because of the inherent risks of hacking people open.

Daniel wanted a hamburger today. Dr. Bello and I were all for it, but the mom put the hammer down along with the other doctor and vetoed. He was back to his usual feisty self today, enough to severely lose to his parents at spades (I was his partner and probably lost the game for us... even when he´s sick he can play some mean spades...)

There´s a lot more I could say about travel arrangements, securing medical records and all that, but this is getting a bit long, even for me. Suffice it to say, everything is coming together well and we are being provided for in every place we will go.

SEMI IMPORTANT

If you´re in the Dallas area, the Stinson´s would not object to having meals brought over and Daniel would definitely not object to those wishing to help with the medical costs. Visitors may want to hang on for a few days to let Daniel adjust to being home and recover from the trip.

Peace!!

No comments: