Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Riobamba and Baños

I´m finally sitting in the fabled Baños, a destination recommended to me by many travelers and locals alike. It´s dark, so we´ll see how it really is tomorrow.

Staying with Roberto´s family was great! They have a nice house in Riobamba and were incredibly hospitable. Roberto´s dad and sister (Natalia) ended up waiting for us at the bus terminal for an hour and a half while we checked internet and stuff, thinking that we would call them when we were ready to be picked up. Yeah, my Spanish still isn´t that great. A little misinterpretation and I felt REALLY bad. They took us out for an AWESOME fried chicken dinner at Happy Pollo afterwards.

Natalia took us around town today (after a breakfast of hot milk with sugar and instant coffee and REALLY good rolls and cheese) to do a little shopping and see some sights including a mummy in a nearby town called Guano. I got a couple sweaters to fend off the cold. We had more amazing food at a restaurant in town with batwing doors. Good stuff.

Spiritual highlights included meeting a lady studying tourism who had never really met a foreigner who loved Jesus. I got to encourage her a bit and give her my email address so she can ask questions. The sweater vendor was also a Christian and I got to encourage him too. Tonight, I met a guy at the actual Baños (natural hot water mineral baths) that used to be a Christian but is now living in San Francisco (those two aren´t necessarily mutually exclusive) apparently doing IV drugs. He said I could live in San Francisco. I was honored.

Tomorrow Becki takes off for a clinic outside of Puyo and I plan to recreate, pray and do other renewing-type stuff in this resort town. I´ll be praying for Daniel and the surgeons tomorrow. I have full confidence that he will make a full recovery and want to give God the glory!!

No comments: