Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Acute proptosis in myeloid leukaemia

Lots of big words right? To me, they mean a little boy, maybe 10 years old with his left eye blinded and bulging out of its socket, maybe 4 times larger than a normal eye. His right eye is now being affected too and will be blinded as well if he doesn't get treatment. So what's the hold-up? Why not just give this kid radiation, a bone marrow transplant and send him on his way? Well, first off, we can't actually diagnose him here. He needs a CT and some other tests to make sure it's actually leukemia. Am I sounding like one of those infomericials yet?

The problem is money.

A CT scan costs a whopping $80 over here, which most people cannot afford. By comparison, a CT in the U.S. costs about $500. Unfortunately even with a diagnosis the kid still can't afford radiation therapy or a bone marrow transplant, so he will die. Ever wanted to know what feeling powerless feels like? Come to Cambodia and hang out with the sick. It's too bad... he is a sweet kid. His name is [not allowed to be revealed cause he's a patient].

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I'm reading a book called "Intercessory Prayer" by Dutch Sheets right now. It's extremely powerful. Miracles happen and I know the Lord can heal Daa. I'm going to add him to my list to pray over for a miraculous, complete healing and I'm going to believe that God is going to do a mighty work in him. Call me crazy---it's a name I'm becoming more comfortable with over the years. :) Tra and I are on an amazing spiritual journey right now. If you ever come through D/FW STAY WITH US!!! I'd love to trade stories. :) love ya--