Thursday, June 21, 2007

Twilight of a Trip

Usually I get tense and uncomfortable when I'm done in one place and ready to move to the next. However I'm finding myself relaxing and enjoying my last few moments in Cambodia. Yesterday I learned a ton about putting in IV's and breathing tubes and got to do a couple IVs and scrubbed in to a pretty brutal hip surgery. AND I got to do some mean work with the electric cautery... cutting out extra tissue and blocking bloodflow left and right. Good stuff. The students took off after lunch and got some great Thai food, then went to the Royal Palace and the Silver Pagoda. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I took a nap afterwards (I've been really tired lately) at the apartment of the Canadian students and then went to teach English with Samnang. We picked up some VCDs for the karaoke party that we're going to tonight out in the country. Their idea of fun can be really strange over here.

Teaching went well, I showed pictures of my home and described different things about Alaska, then quizzed the kids about what I was talking about. Basically practicing comprehension. After teaching Samnang and I went to hang out at his uncle's food stand, and then we met the French Canadian girls at for dinner at Amok. It's a really cool restaurant where you sit on mats and cushions at a low table and the food is really good.

I really love hanging out with those girls and wish that I could have spent more time with them. They're really easy to be around and fun and nice and all those good things. Conversation was great and I got to share the Good News about life in Christ, which always makes me happy. I was sad to go, but was really ready for bed.

Driving at night after the rain here is a beautiful thing. (I've been borrowing Samnang's moto and I'm getting to be a decent Cambodian-style driver). I had a really awesome talk with God last night... both intimate and friendly and feel like my purpose in Cambodia has been accomplished. Despite my physical condition, I feel refreshed and ready for the next season.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

It almost sounds like mono. Have you had that before? Not like you need me to diagnose you, Mr. putting in iv's and sucking out tissue and blood. YUCK. And that you can just go out to eat afterwards as if you didn't just see all of those blood and guts is impressive. I'll be praying for an extra measure of strength and rest. hugs--