Wednesday, June 20, 2007

This is Me with a Bad Attitude

I’ve been really challenged by the teachings of Christ lately. I’m now in Luke in my Bible read-through and realizing that He spent a lot of time telling us to be nice to each other. Really nice to each other. Like, so nice that if you don’t have a coat and I have an extra one, I’m supposed to give mine to you. Seriously… who does that? Sure, you can BORROW my coat, but it’s MY coat. I bought it with my own money! And besides, it wouldn’t make sense for me to give it to you because you’d probably just get it dirty.

And this from the guy I say I base my lifestyle on. So who is out there doing this? Where are the Christians?? This may be a familiar sounding question (like maybe I said the same thing yesterday), but today is different, I think I found one.

Buntha Ly is the young guy living out in a Muslim village teaching English and sharing the Gospel. That’s what he lives for! He struggles as many people do, but he also shares Christ with the perishing. He lives on very little and is more than content with life. Oh, just FYI, he got 50 bucks from the Changepoint money. The teacher at the Bible study said he couldn’t think of a better place to give money. Buntha is a really cheerful guy, although a bit shy. I am honored to know him.

Then I realized I probably know a lot of Christians, but I am never satisfied to settle for the status quo. I just can't seem to circumvent the truth that it's about obedience, not rules. That God really does know best, we just need to LISTEN to Him. I'll work on that.

The little boy with the bulging eyes update: the word is back from the eye docs, he is now too weak for surgery and it would likely kill him to go under anesthesia. So we sent him to another hospital. No one seems to know why we did that, perhaps in the hopes that he'll improve, but the most likely theory is that he will not live much longer. At least I got reimbursed from CSC for the 90 dollars I paid for his CT. Now I can spend it on something worth while, like some climbing gear. Am I sounding bitter and sarcastic? Maybe I'm just pissed that the health care system over here is crap and I get to play all next winter while little kids die over here.

Despite the angst virtually dripping off the page, I'm feeling pretty good about life. God has been teaching me a lot and Ecuador is looming on the horizon. Just 2 more days in Cambodia and SO many things to do. Right now, number one on that list is sleep.

Oh yeah, reminds me, I slept on my inflattable ground pad last night instead of my bed because my bed was infested with bed bugs. I got them to wash everything, so hopefully I'll be back in the comfort of a semi-real bed again.

P.S. I have a sore throat and I'm tired, just for the record, not to complain or anything.

P.P.S Sarcasm is fun and liberating, but it's poison, anything more than a small dose will kill you.

P.P.S. Love you guys!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to be in the midst of all of the poverty, sickness, and death and think about going back to your "normal" life. It is evident that God is doing some serious working on your heart. I know you will leave this experience changed and refined, and that you will look so much more like Jesus. He has allowed you to have a glimpse of what He sees every day and He has given you His compassionate heart in the process. I'm so thankful you've shared your heart with us. You've made me do a lot of thinking and reevaluating of what is important in life. Love you and I'm looking forward to Jesus coming back to get us ALL!!! No more hurting, dying, tears, pain, etc. Hugs---