Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Not Exactly Surgery

After looking forward to being back in the OR after a weekend of touristy stuff, I didn't actually make it to the OR today. Now you MAY be thinking, "Oh Ross said he wasn't feeling well, so maybe he slept in and stayed home for the day." Nothing could be further from the truth. Actually, there are a few things, but we won't go there.

Flash back to the little boy with the bulging eyes. He's been waiting around hospitals for about a month now, so the CT we finally got last week was too old to base any treatment upon. So back to another hospital he went today for a current CT. Now, ideally, the first hospital he went to would have referred him to CSC back in May when he came in, but his parents only recently heard about it by word-of-mouth (as I understand it) and brought him in last week. We waited for his records for roughly 3 days, and are finally processing them about a week after he showed up at CSC. Meanwhile, he has lost what little vision he had when he showed up at CSC, so even if we cure him, he will be blind for life. A harsh reality over here.

Beauracracy forced my hand today. I'm not patient when I can do something other than wait. So I shelled out 90 bucks today for another CT and may or may not get paid back. It's alright. I pay for other people when we eat out with no intention of getting anything back. This situation is just a little more emotionally charged. My tone here should not be read as sarcastic or bitter, but truly joyful at the opportunities I have to bless others. Just thought I'd clarify.

The CT brought good news, no brain or bone invasion, so after we get blood tests back, we can remove his right eye and the associated tumor. That will probably happen tomorrow. Needless to say, it was a busy morning despite not going into surgery. And his full name is [removed for patient confidentiality, sheesh]. I had it right the first time.

I spent a lot of the afternoon praying and reading the Bible. Not by choice, I intended to watch "House," a medical show, on DVD but the power was out all afternoon, as happens frequently here. So instead, my soul was fed and I got to come to a deeper understanding of the Word. I got to put that faith into practice by praying for the power to come back on after reading the bit about "keep asking like you're an annoying neighbor." It did. Praise God that He leads us as he does. The control we have over our lives is such a joke.

I'm also understanding that Jesus really didn't spend a lot of time talking about how we should all enjoy our lives and the rich blessings God has given us. He spends a lot of time talking about giving to the poor though. Is there anyone out there actually doing this?? Why not???

The power came back on and I watched my TV shows and ate dinner at a street stand. I'm feeling better today, I just needed to sleep for about 12 hours. Cures everything =).

2 comments:

~lady j said...

sleep cures a lot of things, you're so right! i wish i could put you up in houston... but i'm praying for you as you make your way back stateside... and for da and his family as you leave. are you helping with his surgery?

~lady j said...

okay this is crazy... but where (city) and when (dates) and with who (organization) are you going to ecuador? lemme know, asap...