Tuesday, June 5, 2007

How to Start a Tuesday

87 cents is a cheap price to pay for contentment, but if you put it in the right place, it works. Street food here can be SSOOOOO good and incredibly cheap. And did I mention I got a cold beer with that too? I feel like one of those old guys talking about how they could take a girl out to dinner and a movie for 10 cents (sorry Pop). Anyway.


Today rocked. Flat out. I slept in because yesterday was my birthday, so I didn't get up til like 8am. I started to hustle through my morning routine, then just decided to take it slow and enjoy the morning. So I prayed on my patio a little bit. I leisurely read my Bible until I was satisfied. I even did a few push-ups and pull-ups! As you're sitting there admiring my morning, just think: "this could be me really enjoying my morning." Next step: do it. Leisure in the mornings is why my dad likes getting up early and why I like going to work/school late =).

On a serious note, I don't think anyone who hangs out with God every morning ever has a bad day.


I did some cool stuff today technically, but I'm starting to realize it's the human aspect I'm really in this for. Sitting in an OR all day and occaisionally doing some sutures or an intubation is great and all that, but leaves something out. We lengthened a girl's leg today so she can walk normally again (and I got to close... I'm getting better), but I felt much more satisfaction walking through the recovery room, smiling at old ladies who all smile back and bow respectfully, stopping to put a hand on a patient or to see how a wound is healing up... Dang, it just downright fills your heart. So I think I'll have to do that in my career... not sure how, but I like people. I like the simple interaction of doctor-patient. I like having something to give and some one to receive it, even if it's just a smile. (sorry for the cheese... sometimes melodrama works best)

I also hammered a rod out of some guy's leg today. It was sweet. (there. simplistic redemption.)

Tonight I'm going to be on call with Dr. Leng... he's super nice and very willing to explain things to students. Not sure how late I'll stay, but I'm excited to see a bunch of cases.

Unrelated: yesterday I met a Christian Cambodian kid in dental school while I was picking up Samnang's moto and we had a sweet conversation. I freaking love that kind of stuff.


And now, let me thank ALL of you who are reading this, for caring enough to see what's going on with me. Extra thank you's to all who have taken a few extra minutes to write something back. Your words are incredibly encouraging! It's really hard to feel alone with God on your side, and it's even harder to feel alone when you have people showing you they love you. Heck, I could go to Southeast Asia and still feel loved!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey man,
I only know you through facebook, but I just wanted to drop a note to say how encouraging it is that God is doing amazing things in Cambodia! It's especially uplifting because I'm aware of the country's history of violence and poverty (as I am Cambodian myself). I'm joyful in knowing that Christ will continue to redeem broken lives through missionaries faithfully sharing his word and love. What a mighty God we serve!

Peace and prayers,
Rithy

Unknown said...

hey ross. this is you cousin kia. i just wanted to let you know that you blog has inspired me to work harder at my spiritual life. and you know what? everything all ready seems much better. i've really enjoyed reading about your experiences in cambodia, and love looking at the pictures. i hope that someday i'll have as wonderful a relationship with God as you do.

Much love,
kia