Friday, June 15, 2007

A Street Cafe in Siem Reap

I'm sitting along a street in Siem Reap having finished an excellent meal of Khmer curry vegetables and of course, white rice. Music from the clubs is pervading the atmosphere with sounds from synthesizers to kettle drums to Indian tambourines. It's a relatively cool night and there is a nice breeze to make the constant sweating somewhat productive. Tonight I'm staying in a room with air con, we decided to splurge and pay $10 for our room with 3 beds.

So many experiences since my last posting. Here's a run down:

  • Sampled some obscure local food including dog curry and pig intestine. I know. I'm a terrible person.
  • Taught an English class for a group of teens and preteens on the outskirts of Phnom Penh. One kid was really good at English, so I gave him an English study book I'd bought earlier that day while I was out trying to get the patient records for the kid with possible leukemia. (I waited over an hour, and finally asked God in faith to help me. The guy I needed to talk to walked up as I was lifting my head from prayer... cool.)
  • Met some British girls for drinks who remotely knew Sebastian.
  • Jetted out of there to meet the eye surgeons and staff for a big meal/party at a local restaurant. What a great group of guys. Several of us went to karaoke afterwards, where yes, I sang "Desperado" and "Vincent" (aka Starry, Starry Night). Whew, those Khmers know how to have fun.
  • Got up to go with the eye docs to an eye screening clinic at a public school. Played with the kids and stuff.
  • Left for Siem Reap, a 5.5 hour bus ride. Good chance to catch up on my Bible reading (I'm in Matthew) and meet some Christian girls from California who happened to be sitting behind me on the bus. It is so great to be around people who love the Lord, especially after last night when I constantly had to resist attempts to get me drunk or hooked up with a Khmer girl. Funny, but neither of those things really had any appeal to me. Anyway, don't take for granted being surrounded by people who really want what's best for you. I thought peer pressure was supposed to end in high school =).

No real deep thoughts lately that are surfacing. I did get to pray over the little boy with the eye tumors today after talking to his parents. They told me that we doctors know what is wrong with him and we just need to help him. They were begging me to help him. I told them all that I could do was pray and was that alright. I think they appreciated it, but the prayer I prayed was not one of power. Some times I know when my prayer will be answered and I wished I could have prayed that kind of prayer for him, but I will just keep praying for God's favor over them and for miraculous healing.

Tonight was a really good night. As a connoisseur of perfect moments, I was very pleased to have experience two, one while riding in the tuk-tuk leaving the bus station, the other after eating the aforementioned curry, which is the best I've ever had. Tomorrow, the temples.

1 comment:

~lady j said...

the khmer curry VEGETABLES i'm assuming were perfect... not the dog curry, yes? :/