Friday, June 22, 2007

...and I'm out

Sitting in the Pochentang airport waiting for my plane to board... I should probably be introspective right now, but I'm slipping into the traveling mindset in which I merely pass time until my next destination. Last night was interesting.

I finally got a fever yesterday after being tired all week. It was not exactly a pleasant last day. However, a bunch of people from CSC went to lunch at Friends cafe where I went all out and spent almost 9 bucks on lunch. Really good pasta. Afterwards I went to get a massage (finally) at Seeing Hands, a massage parlor staffed by the blind. It was a pretty good massage. Really good for 5 bucks.

I really just wanted to sleep at about 5 yesterday, but Samnang had made arrangements for a going-away party outside the city at his friend's house. I told him I wasn't going, because that's what the sensible thing would be. Then I started thinking about how I frequently disappoint people by doing the sensible thing. Then I thought about Christ saying that a man with great love lays down his life for his friend. I was pretty sure I wouldn't die, and that I'm actually trying to live by the principles of Christ, so I went. Samnang was really happy.

My fever got bad on the way out and I bought some ibuprofen that didn't seem to be working. So when we arrived after riding in a minibus for 45 minutes, I asked for blankets and cuddled up. Eventually the ibuprofen kicked in and I had dinner at a typical Cambodian house. We slept on the floor with no fan on mattress really in a wood house on stilts. What a way to end my trip.

I'm actually feeling better today, so maybe there's something to this living by the teachings of Christ. I guess it was worth a shot. My plane is boarding soon, next stop: Houston (by way of Taipei and L.A.).

No comments: