Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Chilling out

Is not easy to do in Cambodia, but sometimes it's a really good idea. Both physically and metaphorically. Drinking lots of water helps with the first one, just stopping and being thankful for a while really helps with the second.

Last night was pretty intense. I worked at the ER with Dr. Leng who works crazy amounts of hours... he got up and did surgery the next day on little sleep. I slept at the hospital (a different one), but got to see quite a bit of how emergency care works in Cambodia. I use the term works very loosely. There are some excellent physicians here, but the system they work definitely could use improvements.

CSC was slow today, but afterwards I got a chance at a leisurely afternoon on my patio with a good book about a girl growing up in the Khmer Rouge. More on that later.

About 20 loosely connected expatriates went out with us tonight on a dinner boat and it was excellent! The food was really good and it was beautiful seeing the sun set from the river. I love being on the water and it really reminded me of my days working on the Kasilof River... good times.... The stars also came out and it was beautiful just being thankful in God's presense.

I went over to the house of an expatriate tonight and hung out for a little while. I met some Jews and had some interesting conversation. It's like their descended from celebrities. I was sitting there with some one who had the blood of Abraham in them!! But this brings me around the my initial point. I didn't witness to anyone all day. And I was beginning to feel a bit frustrated by that, in addition to the fact that I could have gone to a Bible study tonight.

Then I thought... hey, chill out, God doesn't need you, and He might actually prefer that you ENJOY this evening rather than trying to force a spiritual conversation. So I did. I chilled right out and had a good time meeting new people. I think Jesus would have been downright proud of me. =)

No comments: