Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Day in the Making

Another slow day at CSC. but another viciously intense day in the Kingdom. I didn't scrub in today, but did watch some miraculous things. I would be remiss to discount the awesome things that happen at CSC every day. An infant with a bilateral (a.k.a. really messed up) cleft lip and maxilla was given a new face today. A child whose fingers were fused together on both hands was given digital liberation (couldn't resist). And it was amazing walking through the lines of patients just saying hi and seeing the brilliance and gratitude radiate from their faces. People here, indeed everywhere, take so much pleasure in simply being acknowledged.

On a quick side note, Samnang took me to a local restaurant tonight. Trash all over the floor, open air dining, Cambodians sitting at tables, vendors selling fried grasshoppers and dirty postcards, all these graced our dining experience tonight. We grilled beef, shrimp, squid and veggies on a propane grill placed on our table and it was excellent!! I love dining local.

The vicisous intensity of the day mostly stems from my reflections on The Irresistable Revolution. I don't find anything this guy says incredibly new or different. It's just that he's taken so many theoretical things about Christ and His teachings and lived them out. Holy crap. I really want to do that. As I've been tossing around what that looks like for me, it definitely involves some life changes.

I need to get rid of more stuff. I'm realizing that stuff is a real hindrance to the Kingdom. So Mom, when I come home and start giving away childhood toys and stuff, be prepared, or hide them before I get there. I want to know poor people. I want to hang out with them. Going to Seattle will offer me a real opportunity to run into that community, and I'm pretty stoked about it.

However, I realized today that my trip to Ecuador isn't just about surfing, salsa and Spanish, but that I may actually be serving the Kingdom down there as my primary mission. I think I will have the chance to live with other Christians, and actually need what they have to offer me. I will meet the poor and the rich and the destitute and offer life to all of them. Not life that I have myself, but life that is flowing through me as the river of the Holy Spirit. I'm done trying to talk people into faith in Christ. It's time for me to walk out my faith and invite people to TASTE AND SEE THAT THE LORD IS GOOD.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Ah yes, The Irresistible Revolution... I just finished that myself. When 5 people in 2 weeks told me I should read it, I got the hint. It's definitely time to take a more serious look at what Jesus teaches us. It's time.

Shelly said...

Here's a thought too. . . some of the "poorest" people I know are really wealthy. God has impressed upon me to keep my eyes open to the opportunities He presents before me to spread the gospel to both the rich and the poor. Not that you haven't thought of that already, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. I think it's so awesome how He has given you a heart for the poor though. What a great stage of life you are in---to be able to take off to different parts of the world and not have the responsibility of a family. I know you are, but ENJOY this time!! It will go so quickly! love ya--