Saturday, June 30, 2007

Me llamo Carlos

Internet is scarce over here. My apologies.

I spent the last few days in the town of San Pablo. It´s a small fishing village close to Salinas, Ecuador. Daniel and I called up Leonardo (one of Roberto´s friends) and he took us to the bus station and put us on a bus to San Pablo. When we arrived, we started asking around for any medical people and heard a couple rumors about where they were, but nothing solid. As we were wondering around the beach area looking for a place to camp, we happened by an evening church service.

Like flies on... flypaper, we stuck to the church service and had a good time hanging out with other followers after it was over. They invited us into their homes for sweet coffee and biscuits and promised they would find out where the clinic would be the next day and let us know if we met them at the church.

We camped out on the beach our second night in Ecuador and loved it. We had a relaxing morning and then ambled into town where we were met by Moses, a brother, who directed us where to find the doctors. As we were walking to the clinic, some white people pulled up and offered us a ride... it was the Rotary group that had come to offer the clinic and do some work on their project village.

We plugged into the group and met some great people. Gonzala (Rotary president in Guayaquil) and his wife allowed us to sleep at the patio of their beach house. They fed us 3 *excellent* meals a day in exchange for our work. I did a little manual labor then went to work at the clinic with Dr. Glen and Barbara. Great folks. Dr. Glen is really laid-back and funny but a good doctor with a great rapport with patients. I had a blast working with them. The highlight of my time in San Pablo was a lady with chest pain that I figured out was actually a displaced rib. After hurting her a couple times, I wanted to give up, but was persuaded to try to adjust her rib once more. I got it on the third try and she immediately started crying and thanking me because the pain was gone. She´d lived with it for two years. I was humbled and incredibly thankful for the instruction of Dr. Perkins.

We got to be in a parade in San Pablo because we were there for a holiday and had all kinds of great interactions with people that I can´t possibly cram in here. We left this morning after breakfast and good-byes and headed north. We´re now in Montañita and I just finished surfing for the first time. This is a total tourist trap and Daniel and I will probably not stay long. Good waves though. Your prayers are much appreciated as we seek out direction from God in everything we do here. We are sowing seeds of the Truth wherever we go and trusting in God to prosper our meager efforts. Blessings!

No comments: