Monday, June 18, 2007

This needed a title of some kind

Back in Phnom Penh and gladly so.

I don't know what it is about this whole tourism bit, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't understand how people (and I've met a lot like this here) can just take off for months at a time and do nothing but indulge themselves. I realized this weekend that the time I spent touring, eating and drinking felt pretty empty to me. Sure, it was fun, but if I didn't have surgery and such to come back to this week, I think it would have been pretty miserable.

I just can't seem to disengage myself from the sense of being incredibly blessed and the obligation to share that blessing. Some would call that a character flaw, that I "take life too seriously." And to some extent, that's true, I just don't see how other people do it. I suppose I'll just accept how God created me and find enjoyment where I find enjoyment... for example, in surgery tomorrow =).

I finally had to admit that I'm not invincible. Last night at about 2am I woke up to realize that yes, I too can be overcome by the wide variety of toxins in the foods over here. Sad day. Some one needs to invent ice cream that tastes good both ways. =)

The importance of confession continues to impact my thoughts. I realized that I don't have anyone in close proximity that I can share my struggles with while I'm over here. It's a good thing I struggle with anything anymore (and we're joking...). But that made me think that a lot of people don't really have anyone they can share their struggles with, or simply choose not to, so if you're out there and I've bared my soul to you, thank you. I love you and miss you and have probably taken you for granted.

My thoughts are a bit disjointed right now, so I'm going to close for tonight. One more week in Cambo.

I'll be in Houston, TX for 2 days, from 9pm on the 23rd to 4pm on the 25th. I have no plans or anywhere to stay. Any suggestions??

2 comments:

Shelly said...

If you wanted to get crazy you could make a 2 hour drive to Austin and stay w/ my parents! If we were in Houston you could definitely stay with us. :( Sorry to miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Ross, I'm sending a note to my brother, Phil Pettey. He is minister for the Cinco Road Church of Christ (Houston area).
I'm sure he would either house you or find a place for you.
Jay & Juls Pettey (His email is:
phil@crcoc.org)