Friday, June 8, 2007

A Day at the Beach

I realized today that I could live many places. Growing up I thought Alaska was the only place for me, but it is not Alaska that draws me, but the beauty of Creation. That beauty is exceptionally apparent in my home state, but it is seen worldwide. Watching the Cambodian sunset behind a foreground of the beach, ocean and palm trees was quite spectacular this evening, and I know now that it is not necessarily Alaska that I am enamored with, but the creative beauty of our Lord.

Today was a great day of healing. I've been reading through the Bible since last fall and made some good progress today, but more importantly, I got into the Sermon on the Mount. Talk about the core truth of life. It's all right there. I think I could probably read that every day and be changed. Each little paragraph has so much depth and wisdom to it that I just stand in amazement. It was great reading that while on the beach and having the time to reflect on different statement individually. So much truth in such a small space!

I guess the main point that stuck out to me was desiring God's righteousness and not being swayed by anything. I don't really know what that looks like, and I know we can't get it by trying harder, but that it comes through eagerly awaiting (Galatians 5). Still, it's a great thing to desire.

I had a great day of laying on the beach, chasing off little kids trying to sell my necklaces, skillfully avoiding massage vendors (except once) and breaking away from as many other people trying to dip into my wallet as possible. I wonder how much I would spend if I just gave every person what they asked for. It's hard to say no to guys dragging their legs around while I'm sipping on a coconut shake. I end up not saying no a lot I think. I got some good pictures of several of the vendors I think.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow... more of the same laying around, reading the Word, going swimming in bath-temperature ocean water and getting sunburned. Good stuff. I've met some great people here and have really enjoyed the company of some kids from Quebec. We all went to dinner at a teppanyaki style restaurant tonight and are now on our way out to enjoy the night life of Sihanoukville... enjoy your weekend! I got to tell a girl that God is crazy about loving her today. It made me smile. Mostly because she asked the question, "If I don't love myself, who will?" I love knowing the God who has answers to questions like that.

1 comment:

little T said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ross, very uplifting, and it souns like an quite an intriguing country!